There are many facets to living a healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise and a healthy diet are the obvious ones. A healthy diet is easiest when you do the cooking yourself. You can control what goes into the dish which controls the calories and nutrition of the whole meal.
But sometimes, a person just needs a break from their daily routine. A chance to recharge and regroup before starting all over again the next day. The solution can be as simple as a meal outside the house.
We know that when you’re watching what you eat, staying healthy when eating out can cause stress or guilt which are not relaxing feelings. Luckily, more restaurants are evolving their menus to fit the demand for healthier, calorie friendly options. We’ve got a satisfying selection of restaurants in the Lafayette area that are offering healthier menu options:
RESTAURANTS WITH HEALTHY OPTIONS
- Cracker Barrel – Wholesome Fixin’s
- Olive Garden – Lighter Italian Fare
- Jason’s Deli – Wraps, salads, and meatless options
- Applebee’s – Better for You Menu
- IHOP – Updated salad options
- Chili’s – Lighter Options
- Starbucks – Nutrition-friendly Options
- Einstein Bros – Reduced fat options
These restaurants provide a simple way to indulge without derailing your weight loss and fitness goals. They are also a great way to beat the heat of the stove without all the guilt.
WHEN THERE’S NO LIGHT MENU
What about those times, though, when a healthy menu isn’t available? It can be pretty easy to give yourself a free pass for the night and feel bad about it later. You can’t always control where you eat, either. We’ve got some tips you can use to achieve satisfaction and avoid over-indulgence:
- Choose water or unsweetened tea to go with your meal. Allow your food to provide your calories for you, rather than a sugary drink.
- Keep the dressing on the side. By starting your meal with a serving of vegetables, you’ll satisfy your body’s needs for nutrients and set the stage for a healthier meal. Putting the dressing on the side allows you to use the amount you need, rather than the amount you’re given.
- Order the “small” or “half” portion. Many restaurants offer a “half size” of their entrees, which will help you indulge without overeating.
- Pack leftovers right away. Ask for a to-go box as soon as your food is delivered. Immediately packing half of your meal removes the excess food from your vision and ensures a delicious meal for tomorrow.
- Share an entrée and appetizer. Appetizers, unfortunately, often lead to overeating. Many people end up eating enough for a meal before their entrees even reach the table. If you must have those bacon-wrapped shrimp, try sharing them with your dining partner. You could also choose to split your entrée, which would result in a satisfying meal that doesn’t hurt your wallet.
Here at Lafayette Regional Rehabilitation Hospital, we love being able to share with our patients the healthy lifestyle options Las Cruces has to offer. If you have more tips or another favorite restaurant that offers light options, we’d be thrilled to hear from you.